28/9/2000

Its been a long time since i wrote something i really wanted to... I guess its time.

It was a long sweltering day. I was playing all by myself when I saw my grandma coming back from the hospital after a long time. I wondered whether I could play with her. She was always a great company. Jovial, always symbolized patience and full of enthusiasm, I admired her deep from the heart. "No", my mother said. "She is a bit tired". That night, as I was going to sleep I saw my mother shivering. I threw a blanket on her to make sure she was fine. Suddenly a terrifying thought struck me. What if there was no tomorrow? Ignoring the last thought I went to sleep.

I was going down a memory lane when all of a sudden i open my eyes to see darkness filling my cornea. Tense movements was what i saw around me (actually felt around me). There was a light gleaming in the verandah. "What time is it?", I thought to myself. Then as if someone pulling me back, my head fell on to the pillow abruptly.
Precisely 1 and a half hour later, there was a lot of sound ringing in my ears. When my eyes seemed ready to look, I saw all my relatives moving around hurriedly. Then I looked at my bedside clock, half past 6. Hmmm... wonder why have I gotten up this early?

I got out of the bed and moved towards the hall, by which time all the people had gone out. I vividly remember my father speaking over the phone to my relative very urgently. I was wondering what had happened. As I stepped into the hall there was a direct view of the verandah. And my eyes registered something that I would never be able to forget my whole life.

Minutes passed by slowly and then my mother suddenly jerked me out of that trance. She pulled me into my brother's room and said, "Come on.We need to make you get ready. You have an exam today". Then my brother and my cousin entered the room looking very grave. I could see tears glistening down my cousin's face. All of a sudden, everyone began crying and I get up out of that vague dream, which was actually a reality, completely sweating...

What I saw was my granny lying motionless on a white cloth laid on the floor and my sombre-looking grandpa beside her. Next to her was a lamp lit indicating she was no more...

4 comments:

Arun Pillai said...

well written/said . truely a touching moment filled with love & affection. Keep up good write & Thanks for you time...

Quester said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quester said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It might wash with time already. You might adjust to this by this time. Be happy and keep smiling.